v2.2.0...Is it worth the upgrade?
Since v2.2.0 is classified a 'major update' to Exponent, you may be hesitant to consider upgrading your sites. Although in reality it is simply the next incremental version update, it does mark a milestone in the maturity of the Exponent 2.0 code. Here are some immediate and long term benefits to updating to version 2.2.0 once the stable version is released in the near future:
- As always, a new version means many issues (bugs) have been fixed, and many new features will have been added.
- For example, as web browser versions are updated more often than ever, an Exponent web site will now offer features to take advantage of new browsers and devices (e.g., html5 forms)
- There is also a new html5 media player which will work on non-Flash enabled devices, unlike the Flowplayer module.
- We've also put a lot of work into getting the e-Commerce module(s) working out-of-the-box, including a new sample store database which can be included during installation. We've especially polished the event registration and donations modules.
- There are also some new views for the blog module which now offers optional category support. Additionally, there is a new sample blog database available during installation which automatically creates a new wp-like site.
- Once you've gotten your custom theme over the 'v2.2.0 hump,' there shouldn't be any custom theme changes required for future updates since we'll have finally eliminated all of the old 1.0 code.
- Since the initial release of v2.0.0, a couple version updates have required custom themes be updated to continue working. This was primarily due to the deprecation and replacement of old 1.0 code or modules needed for that original release. Therefore, since all the old 1.0 code has been removed in the v2.2.0 release, we don't anticipate any major format changes which would require a custom theme update to work with future releases.
We anticipate releasing a stable v2.2.0 by the end of May 2013.
About the author
Exponent CMS Developer