Blogs by date "April 2013"
Web presence optimization is a more holistic strategy of online brand building. Although SEO is central to building a strong web presence in search, social media and content marketing are two additional elements that play big roles growing your brand's web presence.
Exponent CMS is well-suited for web presence optimization in that it caters to certain needs to execute a cohesive strategy. Below are three ways in which you can leverage Exponent for web presence optimization.
1. Integrate Social Media Icons
Without question, social media can have a momentous impact on your brand's web presence optimization strategy. "Social signals," (such as Tweets, Facebook Likes, Shares, Pins, and Google +1's) are becoming strong ranking factors for search. For this reason, it's a smart to include social media icons on the pages of your site with social and SEO value (e.g. blog posts.)
The social media marketing component of your brand's web presence optimization strategy will coincide with content marketing (mentioned below) and search engine optimization. This is because most of the content that you create will be shared and promoted via social media. As a result, you can better engage with your target audience and inbound direct traffic to your Exponent site.
2. Create a Blog for Content Marketing
Content marketing is a powerful portal to expand your web presence and make your voice known. Blogging is one of the easiest ways to start content marketing. By created awesome content and sharing it with your social media followers, you can direct quality traffic (and in-market leads) to your website.
Exponent makes it easy to build a blog on your website. Here you can take web presence optimization to the next level by publishing articles, videos, and other forms of engaging content. You can the leverage this content for both SEO and social media marketing.
3. Keyword Optimize Your Pages for SEO
The last web presence optimization tip focuses on SEO - which offers amazing potential to expand your web presence and increase web traffic. The nice thing about Exponent is that it's well-suited to easily keyword optimize the pages of your website.
The fields that you'll want to ensure are keyword optimized for SEO are the:
- SEF Name (or URL of the page)
- Page Title (also known as the "Meta Title")
- Page Description (also known as the "Meta Description")
All of these fields can be found by click the "Pages" button on the blue column bar (when logged in to Exponent,) and then selecting "Edit This Page."
This keyword optimization is essential for SEO and establishing relevancy on your pages. As a result, you can maximize your SEO and web presence optimization potential.
Since v2.2.0 is classified a 'major update' to Exponent, you may be hesitant to consider upgrading your sites. Although in reality it is simply the next incremental version update, it does mark a milestone in the maturity of the Exponent 2.0 code. Here are some immediate and long term benefits to updating to version 2.2.0 once the stable version is released in the near future:
- As always, a new version means many issues (bugs) have been fixed, and many new features will have been added.
- For example, as web browser versions are updated more often than ever, an Exponent web site will now offer features to take advantage of new browsers and devices (e.g., html5 forms)
- There is also a new html5 media player which will work on non-Flash enabled devices, unlike the Flowplayer module.
- We've also put a lot of work into getting the e-Commerce module(s) working out-of-the-box, including a new sample store database which can be included during installation. We've especially polished the event registration and donations modules.
- There are also some new views for the blog module which now offers optional category support. Additionally, there is a new sample blog database available during installation which automatically creates a new wp-like site.
- Once you've gotten your custom theme over the 'v2.2.0 hump,' there shouldn't be any custom theme changes required for future updates since we'll have finally eliminated all of the old 1.0 code.
- Since the initial release of v2.0.0, a couple version updates have required custom themes be updated to continue working. This was primarily due to the deprecation and replacement of old 1.0 code or modules needed for that original release. Therefore, since all the old 1.0 code has been removed in the v2.2.0 release, we don't anticipate any major format changes which would require a custom theme update to work with future releases.
We anticipate releasing a stable v2.2.0 by the end of May 2013.
About the author
Exponent CMS Developer